Cambridge is a small town, but it is full of fun free activities! Find out the best free things to do in Cambridge, England so you don’t have to spend a cent.
When we would visit Cambridge for Christmas, we found so many things to do for free! The city is filled with free museums and attractions, idyllic parks, and free festivals. You’ll have no trouble finding things to do in Cambridge for free.
Don’t break the bank on your visit to Cambridge, England! Check out these top free things to do in Cambridge.
Top Free Things to Do in Cambridge
1. Admire the Corpus Clock
The Corpus Clock is a strange and memorable Cambridge monument. And it’s totally free to see it.
This unique clock has been a Cambridge icon since it was unveiled in 2008. Invented and designed by Corpus Christi College alum Dr. John C. Taylor, the gleaming gold clock has no hands or numbers with which to tell the time.
Instead, you’ll need to look for the slits cut into the clock face, which are lit from behind by LEDs. The inner ring represents the hour, the center ring represents the minute, and the outer ring represents the second.
The ripples on the clock represent the Big Bang that formed the universe. On top is the “Chronophage” time-eating monster that resembles a grasshopper. When the hour is struck, a hammer hits a wooden coffin. A Latin inscription beneath the clock reads “The world and its desires pass away”.
2. Have a Sit at The Eagle
I know what you’re thinking — “Drinking at a pub isn’t free!” But I’m not sending you to The Eagle for drinks.
This is the pub where Watson and Crick regularly ate and where the pair announced the discovery of the structure of DNA. You can have a look around for free and revel in the history.
The Eagle is also houses the “RAF bar”; the ceiling in this room had been graffitied by WWII airmen in England’s Royal Air Force.
3. Walk Along the Cam
The River Cam flows through Cambridge and offers scenic views of boats punting up and down the river.
A walk along the river is a good way to see Cambridge and catch a glimpse of the university’s College Backs.
A stop on Silver Street will give you a great view of the Back of Queens College and of Mathematical Bridge.
4. See Newton’s Apple Tree
When in Cambridge, you absolutely have to see Newton’s Apple Tree!
Well, not the real one. A descendant of Newton’s apple tree grows next to the main gate of Trinity College.
You aren’t allowed on the grass to get up close to it, but it still offers a great opportunity to take some silly and creative pictures for completely free. So make sure to grab your selfie stick!
5. Climb Castle Mound
William the Conqueror didn’t leave Cambridge out of his castle-building frenzy. Though there’s not much left of the former stronghold that was Cambridge Castle, you can still admire the site.
On Castle Street, just past The Castle Inn, is the site of Cambridge Castle, now just a mound and some memories.
But a climb to the top of Castle Mound gets you to the highest point in the city and gives you picturesque views of Cambridge, all at no cost. If you haven’t ever seen the city from above, this is a must-do activity in Cambridge.
More Free Things to Do in Cambridge
6. Visit the Fitzwilliam Museum of art and antiquities
7. See the free art exhibition at Kettle’s Yard
8. Learn about arctic exploration at the Polar Museum
9. Visit the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
10. Then visit the Museum of Classical Archaeology
11. Explore the Sedgwick Museum of Earth Sciences
12. See Darwin’s microscope at the Whipple Museum of the History of Science
13. Visit the Museum of Zoology
15. See King’s College Chapel for free during Evensong
16. Visit the expansive Cambridge University Library
17. See the stars at the Institute of Astronomy Observatory
18. Stroll through the Cambridge American Cemetery
19. See the birthplace of football at Parker’s Piece
20. Stroll the Madingley Hall Gardens
21. Attend a University of Cambridge lecture
22. Enjoy Music in the Parks during the summer
23. Visit Trinity College’s Wren Library
Yep, it’s all free!
Free Things to Do in Cambridge Map
Ready to explore all these Cambridge free things to do? Use the map below to plan out your budget vacation!
I hope you enjoy exploring all these amazing things to do in Cambridge for free!
Budget Places to Stay in Cambridge
A budget Cambridge guide isn’t complete without some cheap accommodations. Take a look at these top budget hotels in Cambridge:
And for more cheap places to stay, check out these websites:
- Compare Cambridge hotel prices at Booking.com and TripAdvisor.
- Find cheap Cambridge vacation rentals on VRBO.
More Things to Do in Cambridge, England
Find even more fun things to see and do in Cambridge. Check out these posts for inspiration:
- Best Things to Do in Cambridge, England
- Where to Eat in Cambridge, England
- Christmas in Cambridge, England
- Visiting Cambridge Castle in Cambridge, England
Ready to visit Cambridge, England? Plan your trip with these tips.
- Book Your Flight: Find the cheapest flights using Skyscanner, my favorite flight search engine.
- Find Accommodation: You can find top hotels in Cambridge using Booking.com.
- Start Packing: Check out my packing list resources so you’re prepared for your trip.
What are your favorite free things to do in Cambridge, England? Let me know in the comments!